Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Day it Snowed in Miami


Today marks the 35th anniversary of the day it snowed in Miami! Funny enough, back on January 9th, 2010 when I was visiting my parents in Coral Gables, there were a few reports of very light snow flurries across Miami-Dade county. I saw maybe a flake or two fly, but nothing official was recorded. Morning lows were near freezing, which is pretty darn rare for Miami. I believe the all time record low is officially 27 degrees? I'll leave some screen captures I grabbed from the news that day below...

I'm also going to leave two links talking about this historic event. The first is from local 10 in Miami, and chief meteorologist Trent Aric. Trent and I went to school together at Mississippi State, so I know him well. He put together a cool video blog talking about the setup that brought some light snow to South Florida. Make sure you check it out as he does a great job! The second link is from the Miami Herald, who wrote a great article on "The day it snowed in Miami". There are lots of great personal accounts, so make sure you check it out as well. I'm a huge weather historian at heart, so I hope you enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment