Thursday, February 10, 2011

Starkville Snow Day!


Snow beginning to pick up! ~4pm February 9th, 2011...

Final measurement of 5" around 9pm February 9th, 2011. Snow ratios were pushing 20 to 1 the last couple hours of the event!


At my house in west Starkville, I measured just a tad over 5". That is the 2nd highest snow total I've ever seen in Starkville since moving here in August of 1999. January 2000 is still the highest I've ever seen in Starkville, with totals around 8". At first MSU was going to open at 11am, but decided around 8:45am that campus would be closed for the whole day! I honestly think that was the smart/safe choice, as high temps never got above freezing today. It hit 31.9 degrees on the roof of the climate lab, where GTR only hit 30/31 degrees.

Currently, we are under a hard freeze warning, with temps forecasted to be near 10 degrees tonight! At 8pm, it is 28/27 degrees and I do think we will get close to 10 degrees. Personally, I'm thinking a couple degrees over 10, but it should be close! I know 10 degrees is nothing compared to what many have experienced to our west, but that is really cold for Mississippi! Hey, like I said though, it could be much worse... A mesonet station in Nowata, OK hit -31 degrees this morning, which is the lowest temperature ever recorded in the state of Oklahoma (The old record of -27 happened twice back in 1905/1930)! Absolutely amazing! Thankfully, the winter "flip" is coming fast, as high temps should be in the mid 60's by Sunday! I love the snow, but I'm ready for the warm up! Many more pictures/videos to come this weekend when I have some free time...


The Delta is clearly outlined on visible satellite imagery! ~ 3:30pm February 10th, 2011...

No comments:

Post a Comment