Saturday, October 8, 2011

AL DAVIS 1929-2011




As a lifelong Raiders fan, I want to pay my respects to Al Davis. People can say what they want about Mr. Davis, but the Raiders are Al Davis. He did so much for the NFL, that without him, the AFC may not even exist today. He was the first owner to hire a Hispanic (Tom Flores) & African American head coach (Art Shell). He also was the first owner to hire a women (Amy Trask) as CEO. He was a man way ahead of his time, as he was maybe the greatest football mind the NFL has ever seen. I have been watching the Raiders hardcore since I was 7 years old, and even though I love my Lakers/UCLA Basketball, I would give every championship I have ever seen in my life, for just one more Raiders Super Bowl. JUST WIN BABY!




AFL's Coach of the year in 1963 (Raider went from 1-13 to 10-4 in his first year as coach)
AFL Commissioner in 1966 (Huge figure in the merger of the AFL & NFL)
Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1992
Has been asked to present 9 players into the Pro Football Hall of Fame (Most in NFL history)
1967 AFL Championship
3 Time Super Bowl Champion: 1976, 1980, 1983 (5 Appearances)
16 Division Titles/21 Playoff Appearances
25 Playoff wins/411 Regular Season Wins
Only owner/CEO, head coach/assistant coach/scout, general manager, and commissioner in NFL history...







*Back to weather on Monday. Again, I typically keep this blog 100% weather, but as silly as this may sound to some, the Raiders have shaped me as a person. God, then family/friends, then weather, then the Raiders!*

No comments:

Post a Comment