Wednesday, September 8, 2010

1900 Galveston Hurricane 110 Years Later!




Tonight is the 110 year anniversary of the Great 1900 Galveston Hurricane! As many as 12,000 people may have died that night, which is the deadliest natural disaster to ever strike the US! If you adjust to 2005 dollars, the 1900 Galveston Hurricane caused 99.4 billion dollars in damage, which would be ahead of Hurricane Katrina, and second only to the 1926 Great Miami Hurricane (157 billion)...

There are so many amazing/sad stories from this historic night that I could write a book about it! One book I do really recommend everyone reading about this amazing hurricane is Isaac's Storm! One of the best books I have ever read in my life, and it really captures a lot of what went on before, during, and after this historic hurricane! Isaac Cline was the chief meteorologist at the Galveston, TX office... Keep in mind that Houston, TX would never be the city it is today without this historic hurricane! Galveston was not only the main Texas port city at this time, but it was also one of the richest cities in the US!

I'll never forget the feeling I had chasing Hurricane Ike on Galveston Island back in 2008... There is just something about that island, as you are constantly reminded about this historic hurricane almost everywhere you look! I mean think about, the entire city was raised 17 feet at the seawall on the eastern half of the island... Again, constant reminders of this great hurricane! I'll leave everyone with 3 - 10 minute videos from my Hurricane Ike chase on Galveston Island back in 2008! Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment