Sunday, November 7, 2010

World's Worst Weather...




Just got done watching a great show on the travel channel called, World's Worst Weather... There were so many great storm chasers on the show, and I'm sure it will be replayed in the near future... If you missed out tonight, I highly recommend watching when it is re-aired!

The show really took me back to an insane Friday the 13th in Port Charlotte, FL... That was the most amazing day of my life, as I'll NEVER forget Hurricane Charley for as long as I live! I have posted several pictures I shot during Charley on my facebook/twitter/blog over the years (Including probably the best picture I have ever shot in my life on my blog homepage - see above), but I came across one today that I always just tossed to the side as a "bad shot"... However, after listening to Jim Edds describe the fear he experienced during Charley, I started to look back at this "bad shot" much differently... I was in a more protected area than Jim, but of course I was scared... Funny enough though, I was most scared a few hours before Charley made landfall, as I was sitting in Port Charlotte by about noon that day! One of the better/lucky forecasts I have made with the help of my chase partners Josh Johnson & John Walker... Also, one of my mentors Doug Gillham was a HUGE help as well... Always have to consider friction with these fast moving compact storms!

Anyways, sitting there and getting phone calls from friends saying it's up to 125mph, then 145mph, started to scare us a little! At that point I had only chased Hurricanes Lili & Isabel, so I had no idea what to expect! So now when I look back at this "bad shot" I can see the fear/anticipation/excitement all wrapped into one... Ok, so here is the picture... I shot this while me and Josh/John were driving around Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda, FL, looking for a place to hide! Not the best picture of me, but hey, I think it speaks for itself! lol...


The look of, what did I get myself into? Hurricane Charley - 8/13/04...


©Greg Nordstrom 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment