Monday, October 4, 2010

Hurricane Opal, 15 Years Later!


Today is the 15th anniversary of the landfall of Hurricane Opal near Pensacola Beach, FL... I was 15 years old when Opal hit, but I remember it like it was yesterday! I was in 1st period weight training, when the 8am advisory came out, saying Hurricane Opal had reached 150mph maximum sustained winds (listening on the radio)... It exploded over night to a monster 919mb category-4 hurricane! Even at that age, I REALLY wanted to go chase it! Unfortunately, I was 15 and stuck in Arlington, VA... lol...

One thing that really stood out to me with Hurricane Opal, was Dan Rather's live report near the peak of the storm... I really thought that was cool, and I knew that's what I wanted to do one day! I always gave Dan Rather a lot of respect for reporting live during hurricanes, and I'll leave a link to some of his hurricane chasing accounts! He has without a doubt seen his fair share, as I'm pretty sure he was the first to report live during a hurricane (Hurricane Carla-1961)! I'll also leave video Michael Laca shot out of Ft. Walton Beach, FL... AMAZING video that I highly recommend everyone checking out!




No comments:

Post a Comment