Friday, July 9, 2010

Interesting Theory!


Photo I shot in the suburbs of Washington D.C. on February 6th, 2010....


I have always tried to push Accuweather's Pro site to people for many reasons... Whether it's the multiple weather columns/blogs, amazing model pages, or the many other cool pages they offer, it's a great resource that I promise will make you a better forecaster! I know it's not cheap ($250 a year), but it's worth every penny in my eyes... Personally, I love the extra model data I now get with the ECMWF (European), but I mainly use the Pro site so I can learn from Joe Bastardi... Since I have graduated college, I have been fairly outspoken in considering Joe one of my main teachers... I can't even tell you how much I have learned from listening to Joe over the years! Here is an interesting theory, that Joe's dad came up with many many years ago... Joe's dad was a meteorologist as well, and obviously was way ahead of his time! For more info on the Accuweather Pro site, click here!

There seems to be a correlation between mega hurricane seasons (18 or more named storms) and cold December's in the Eastern US... Basically, these mega hurricane seasons means there is a heck of a lot of upward motion in the Atlantic Basin... If you have a lot of upward motion in the Atlantic basin, and cold air is available to come quick, where do you think that cold air is going to go? The relationship between mega hurricane seasons and the following December is astounding! 1995 was a mega hurricane season, and you had a cold December in the eastern US... 2005 was a mega hurricane season, and you had a cold December in the eastern US... 1969 was a mega hurricane season (El Nino year), and you still had a cold December in the eastern US... And what do you know, the CFS is forecasting a cold December in the eastern US, which makes sense with the likely mega hurricane season expected... It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but I find this type of analog forecasting fascinating!



1 comment:

  1. bring on the hurricanes and bring on the cold december!

    ReplyDelete