Saturday, May 15, 2010

Cromwell, OK Double Wedge...


I'm going to analyze the radar data hardcore tomorrow, but after talking to Michael Carter today it's becoming more and more obvious that the two wedge tornadoes we saw came from the same supercell... Michael looked at it fairly closely and it looks like precipitation out in front of the supercell got sucked into the first meso/tornado, which was occluding and turning slightly left... On radar you can see this occur, slowing down the storm... On the flanking line a new circulation/updraft reformed incredible fast and dropped the second wedge... The reason why we think the NWS only has one large tornado listed, is because they crossed the same damage path because the second tornado turned right fast, and basically followed the same path as the first tornado... When you have a .75 mile wide EF-3 tornado it's not hard to see how this happened... I'm going to send this all to the NWS in Norman after I finish looking over grlevel2 data myself tomorrow...

Ironically, we almost got rolled by the first tornado twice! It was an EF-3 as it passed near Seminole, OK... We were on highway 9 and could see it... I have video of me repeatedly saying that it's a huge tornado... While I really thought it was a big tornado, I couldn't say for 100% sure! We got fairly close to it and decided correctly to turn around and stay out in front of it... While I ended up being correct with my spotting, I don't count this because I couldn't say for 100% sure... Our view was blocked and it was just really tough... It's wasn't like when it passed about 100 yards from us! That was hard to miss!!! I just re-edited my video taking out all the cuss words and adding a few things I didn't have in the first video... This will be the video I send to the NWS in Norman, OK later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment