Monday, May 17, 2010

Sharon, OK - LP Supercell...



© Greg Nordstrom 2010

Here is a 5 minute clip of a beautiful LP Supercell we saw on 5/11/10 near Sharon, OK... Sharon is about 10 miles south of Woodward, OK... I really enjoyed chasing this storm a lot! I haven't seen too many LP Supercells over the years, so it was really cool experience... No tornado, but I was happy we got on the only game in town that day!

Things are looking more and more likely that I'm going to head back out to the Great Plains later this week... Saturday has a ton of potential and even Sunday has a lot of potential if the ECMWF (European) is correct... I'll just stick to Saturday... Almost everything is coming together for a huge day! It looks to have a great combination of thermodynamics/dynamics... I will say that I'm worried about the forecasted CAP strength some... However, it's still way too far out to get into details/parameters, but I've always been big on pattern recognition... And this pattern screams severe weather outbreak to me! We'll see...

Really quick I wanted to point something out that my good friend Justyn Jackson called a week ago... The GWO (Global Wind Oscillation) went into octave 1 May 3rd-May 5th... Now I'm NOT very strong overall on the GWO, but basically when you enter Octave 8 and especially 1, you almost always get a trough in the west about 2 to 3 weeks later... Justyn saw this and noted how the GFS wouldn't pick up on this in the long range... It just can't handle or model heat/heat transfer, which is VERY evident during hurricane season in the Atlantic! Justyn is one the very best when it comes to severe weather/long range forecasting, and NWS in Amarillo, TX is very lucky to have him!

It's always great to have someone with Justyn's knowledge who will talk to me about these long range forecasting tools! It's a great way to pick each others brains on complex topics... Even though you would be surprised how fast you soak this stuff up once you dive into it! I'll go into more detail about the GWO another day, but again it's excellent long range forecasting tool that I find very fascinating! As you can tell, I really love learning about long range forecasting, even though some people laugh at these techniques... Honestly, I just think they are scared of something unfamiliar... Meteorology is ever changing profession that no one will ever master! The only thing I can do is try to learn as much as I can... The more you immerse yourself in the extremely wide range this field offers, the better the meteorologist you will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment