Friday, May 21, 2010

Texas Panhandle...




I'm sitting in Amarillo, TX right now and I'm liking my position! 15z RUC show convection going up both to our north and south around 22z... It's also forecasting (at 0z) CAPE values 3,000 J/kg + , 0-1 km shear around 150 m2 / s2, 50 knots of deep layer shear, good shear vectors, dewpoints at a minimum of 65 degrees, and a few more factors I like... Of course there are negative factors as well, but I do think we will get a few tornadoes today with the positives listed above... The better forcing is north, but there should be enough to get things up today... The few storms that do go up should be very discrete, so I'm excited about that... Either way I'm looking forward to a great chase today!

On a side note, I'm sure many in the chaser community have heard all the craziness surrounding V2, chaser convergence, and bad driving... I'm not going to take sides, but I do recommend reading a great essay Dr. Chuck Doswell wrote... I'll leave a link below... In my opinion he is one of the few that can truly shed light on this topic since he started chasing in 1972... That's almost 30 years before I started, so I think his essay speaks for itself...

I will say that in my personal opinion, it is what it is... Wednesday things got a little difficult/dangerous for about 15 minutes or so, but again it is what it is... I choose to go out and chase knowing exactly what I'm up against! The way I look at it is this, if you don't like it, don't chase... I don't see it changing, and if anything I only see it getting worse with time! Of course I hate to see the bad driving, but lets be honest here, I think almost every chaser has been guilty of that from time to time... Of course there are different degrees of it, but again it is what it is... If you feel uncomfortable, scared, or just pissed off about it, then don't chase... That seems like the simplest solution to the problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment