Friday, May 28, 2010

Hurricane Chasing Thought & TROPMET!


Picture I shot of the famous RaceTrac gas station just after Hurricane Charley passed during the late afternoon of 8/13/04...


Of course as a hurricane chaser I want to position myself as close as possible without putting myself in immediate danger! I always try to edge on the side of caution with this, because storm surge is NOT something you want to mess with! Personally, I'm always looking for a strong/sturdy parking garage to ride it out in... There is potentially a big problem though! Say you pick a great spot and you are safe, but the bottom of the garage is damaged enough that you can't get out... That hasn't happened to me yet, thank God, but I can see this being a problem in the future...

I have thought about this a lot over the years, and I think I'm finally going to try to be as smart as possible about it... My plan is to drive about 5 miles from the beach, hide my car well, and then bike/walk in the rest of the way... This way I can get out after the hurricane! Now if I'm on a barrier island like Galveston, then this doesn't matter... However, if I'm chasing in lets say Gulfport, MS, then I think I'm going to give this a try... It will allow me to be a little more aggressive, and yet at the same time make it easier for me to get out... Anyways, it's just a something I have been thinking about... We'll see what happens?

Since we are approaching the official beginning of the 2010 hurricane season (June 1st), I'm going to continue to hit on great tropical websites... Today I want to talk about tropmet.com... This is one of my absolute favorite tropical sites! It is run by Michael Laca, who I consider a friend... He has always been nothing but nice and also very encouraging to me! Michael is one of the pioneers of hurricane chasing and has been in some of the biggest and baddest hurricanes of all time... He has a great site and I highly recommend everyone checking it out! I'll leave a link below and I'll also leave a link to his youtube page which is filled with some of the most amazing hurricane footage I have ever seen in my life! He also has plenty of great severe weather/tornado footage as well... All the videos are great, but my personal favorites are the hurricane Elena and Hugo footage!

No comments:

Post a Comment